Friday, October 5, 2012



‘Early to bed’

BY MARY MAPES DODGE
Early to bed and early to rise:
If that would make me wealthy and wise
I’d rise at daybreak, cold or hot,
And go back to bed at once. Why not?

I had to awaken early today to fix the car.
Meanwhile the gracious Jama over at Jama's Alphabet Soup has me Shiver Me Timbers hoisted up the flagpole.
And Poetry Friday is hosted over at Laura Salas.
Source: She Wields a Pen: American Women Poets of the Nineteenth Century (University of Iowa Press, 1997)

3 comments:

laurasalas said...

Ha! I don't think this is *exactly* what Franklin meant, but I like her way of thinking. Can't wait to see SHIVER!

Jane Singleton Paul said...

Is this the same Mary Mapes Dodge who wrote Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates? Here, she sounds more like Dorothy Parker! Thanks for a fun Friday poem.

Mary Lee said...

As if it's just the RISING that brings the wealth and wisdom! HAH!