Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Father

My father, Harold, was a WWII hero,  rewarded with a Silver Star and a Bronze Star and harrowing memories that he shared with me when I was a child. He owned one of the first Volvos in America, a dark olive one, because he designed their print ads. He was also a splendid landscape artist, and he told me and my brother "That's wonderful," many, many times.


My Father Remembers Blue Zebras

by Judy Halebsky


He remembers that he lost his wallet
he knows about the rainshadow
and the string of islands off the coast of Vancouver
oboeru to remember
also means to learn
I try to keep track of what he put where
the small green car we called Cricket
the second time he got drafted
and Aunt Nina’s husband, he's a nice guy but he’s a fascist
he's asking me again
where do you live
oh, you're in school, what do you study
how far off coast do you have to go

to be sheltered from the rain

that's wonderful Dad says, that's wonderful



No comments: