Friday, September 2, 2011

Stevenson Summer

As Summer draws to a close, and the days slowly sadly shorten, I thought of this Robert Louis Stevenson poem, "Bed in Summer."

Bed in Summer
By Robert Louis Stevenson 1850–1894

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.


I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.


And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?
Source: A Child's Garden of Verses (1999)




5 comments:

Karina D'Aunoy (Peaceful Sun) said...

Beautiful, The onset of Fall Stirs up so much emotion for writer as does summer. Being in the South I'll take all the Fall I can get, but ours is brief.

poemhome said...

Thanx Karina. I wish you and your family a happy healthy wealthy sun-filled year! I'm writing as the setting sun positively Bursts on the buildings of Manhattan outside my studio.

Karina D'Aunoy (Peaceful Sun) said...

How magical, the sun brings so much life into the human spirit! I hope to go to New York one day, to be around all the publishers. If I can get up enough courage to finish my book, I have a feeling this is the year! Happy
writing, I love your work!

Karina D'Aunoy (Peaceful Sun) said...

How inspirational I believe the Sun can move the human spirit, Happy writing! I hope to be in New York one day soon! I know this is the year I will be able to muster up the courage to write my book. I love your work, keep on inspiring!

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short links with LinkShrink and receive $$$$ from every visitor to your shortened urls.