Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Living End

Photobucket
detail of endpaper from DINOTHESAURUS copyright 2009 by Douglas Florian
Who says endpapers can't be fun? This intrepid girl is shaking hands with a pterodactyl, a prehistoric reptile with a wingspan of more than 30 feet (and you thought bats were scary!)Though not true dinosaurs (dinosaurs were terrestrial) pterodactyls were part of an airborne reptile group called pterosaurs(winged lizards), the poem of which I promise to reveal this Poetry Friday. The painting is based on a 19th century engraving, red-headed child not included.

7 comments:

raffy said...

Vivid imagination! Why the spacey look?

Douglas Florian said...

Thanks, Raffy.
I put these two friends on planets to hint at the fact that they are truly separated by millions of years and stand on very different planet Earths.

Unknown said...

Your color choices are fantastic.

There is no mistaking a Florian original:)

Amber Lough said...

My dino-loving daughter is going to LOVE your book. Can't wait to read it. :-)

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

hahaha, there are three sides to a coin, aren't there?! Thank you for pointing that out! A wonderful introduction to your Friday poem. I will surely be back then! Thank you for stopping by! Petra :))

Douglas Florian said...

Thanks Jill, Amber, and Petra Michelle.

Kelly Polark said...

Brave girl and beautiful illustration.
Looking forward to the poem on Friday!
I read Handsprings to my kids yesterday. They (and I) loved it. Can you tell I can't wait for spring?!