Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lost Perl



Kids ask me who is my favorite illustrator. Well one of my favorites growing up was Susan Perl, who died at 60 in 1983. I remember the Health-Tex ads she illustrated in the sixties that always had a multi-cultural group of kids pondering a question, such as "Why Am I Ticklish?". She also illustrated some children's books including the still available Little Popcorn. For elegance of line, body postures, and facial expressions her work had no equal. This picture (click on it) is from the word-birds of Davy McFifer, written by Barbara Klimowicz and published by Abingdon Press in 1970.

6 comments:

Nanny said...

Lovely picture

Unknown said...

I love the details, especially the flowers and bees in the little blonde girl's black and white skirt.

Douglas Florian said...

And I love the little face framed under the teacher's neck, and the snarly expression on the girl with the black sweater.

Unknown said...

Douglas,
What are they all looking at? The little little blonde boy looks petrified.

Snarly is the perfect word for that little girl's expression:)

Kat Mortensen said...

Nice little tribute to a wonderful artist. I love the work of Nicola Bayley.

Kat

melanie hope greenberg said...

I remember the Health-Tex ads and always loved the art. Thanks for bring Susan Perl to our attention.